As we move towards a more connected society, it is important that websites be accessible to all users, regardless of physical or mental abilities. Web accessibility helps ensure that everyone can access and use a website regardless of the type of computer, browser, or assistive technology they use to access it. If a website is not accessible, it can exclude a significant portion of the population who rely on assistive technology to interact with the web.
To support your web inclusivity efforts, we have identified 5 great free resources for website accessibility. These resources provide a great starting point for organizations that are looking to improve the accessibility of their website.
- World Wide Web Consortium (W3) Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) How to Meet WCAG Quick Reference Guide – The World Wide Web Consortium’s (W3C) Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) are the international standards for website accessibility. The How to Meet WCAG Quick Reference Guide is a free online tool that can help you check your website against the WCAG standards.WAI provides a comprehensive set of guidelines and resources for making websites accessible to people with disabilities.
- A11y Project – A11y Project provides a collection of accessibility best practices, code snippets, and tools to help developers create accessible websites.
- AllAccessible Accessibility Audit Tool – The AllAccessible Accessibility Audit Tool is a free online tool that helps you identify accessibility issues on your website, providing recommendations for improving accessibility. You can even download a full report for free.
- WebAIM Color Contrast Checker – The Color Contrast Checker is a free tool that allows you to check the contrast between foreground and background colors on your website, ensuring they meet accessibility standards.
- World Wide Web Consortium (W3) Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)Digital Accessibility Foundations Free Online Course – Once again W3 is on the list providing an excellent online course provides the foundation you need to make your digital technology accessible.
Making your website accessible doesn’t have to be difficult or expensive. By using some of these free resources, you can ensure that everyone can enjoy your website.